Friday, June 19, 2009

Tomorrow

Charlotte's final dose of antibiotics will be administered tonight at midnight, which means that we can take our baby girl HOME!!!  The very kind hospital staff offered to arrange her final dose a few hours early so that we could go home tonight, but we opted for a daytime discharge so that O man can greet his sister when she arrives home.  We are thrilled, as you might imagine, and I'm already envisioning our family together.  One child is a blessing, but two children ae better than I could have hoped.

Charlotte has had a very good day today.  Sleepy, but good.  Her daddy makes a tight swaddle, so she's snug as a bug in a rug.  She had some alert time between feedings during the night...I hope that she sorts out night and day before too much longer.

The hospital staff has been absolutely wonderful.  Not only were the doctors world class, the nurses and midwives have excellent bedside manner.  Instead of turning all of the lights on to get your vital signs every four hours, the midwives quietly knock to see if they can give Charlotte her meds and check her vitals by lamplight.  While we would have, of course, preferred to have a normal, healthy delivery, but I must say that a week in a British hospital has left me rested, relaxed, and ready to be the mother of two.  Knowing that my mom will be here for the next six weeks doesn't hurt either : )  

Fear can be a debilitating emotion, and I would be lying if I didn't say that it held a small place in our thoughts during the first few days.  What kept us hopeful and optimistic was honestly the feeling that we didn't have to face this trial alone.  Many of our friends were able to physically help us: caring for Ollie, keeping Risby, driving me to Addenbrooks because Tim had no business behind the wheel after 3 hours of sleep in two days, and visiting us here at the hospital (thanks also to Kate and Emily...I forgot to mention your visit on Thursday's post) to help us remember that the world was still turning.  We will always remember their kindness and assistance when we needed it the most.  What also made a huge difference were the endless stream of comments, e-mails, and facebook comments.  I was a believer in the power of prayer, but this week has been a firm example to Tim and I.  We never felt despair and we never felt alone.  Honestly, we cannot say enough to thank you all.

We look forward to posting pictures of our darling angel as we bring her home.  Hopefully, our life will be much less dramatic in the weeks to come!!

With Love,
Dori

2 comments:

April said...

Dori, I had goosebumps as I read this. Praise God! I am so happy to hear that Charlotte and you will be joining the boys at home. You all will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. Love & prayers - the Devans

Katie said...

Dori and Tim--
Your family has been in our thoughts constantly since I first randomly checked el Spaulding blog a few days ago. Many prayers your way, friends... I wish there was more we could do for you, with you, to help to take your mind of worries, heck even to do a load of the never-ending laundry. One day, perhaps. Know, though, that you have friends literally the world over who would jump the moon for you if we could and are so thrilled to read about Charlotte's progress. She will no doubt have a happy long life with a storybook family such that you have. We love you guys! Choke choke :-)