Today, I had a dietician come to our home to help me make sure that he's getting as many calories and the right kind of calories as well. We're doing pretty well overall, according to Ruth. She was able to give me some pointers and some recommendations for a dairy-free margarine that we can use on toast and in recipes. So, with a new margarine and some dairy free dark chocolate chips, Ollie and I are going to bake and eat our first batch of chocolate chip cookies this afternoon! I can't tell you how excited I am to watch him enjoy something that so many kids his age are able to. I'll let you know how it goes!
Oh, there's a silver lining to all of this as well. Ruth gave me the stats (can't remember them now), but most kids grow out of this allergy by the time they're two or three. She thinks that O will be ready to slowly reintroduce some dairy this spring!
Here's the recipe for the Deceptively Delicious Cookies that some friends were asking about. They're REALLY yummy...
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread (I normally use light butter)
2 large egg whites
2 t pure vanilla extract
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (I usually process them in a blender)
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup old fashioned oats (like Quakers)
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1. Preheat oven to 350. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Mix the flour, oats, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar and margarine with a wooden spoon or on medium speed until smooth. Beat in the egg whites and vanilla, then the chickpeas. Add the flour and mix on low speed until a thick dough forms. Add chocolate chips.
4. Drop the dough by tablespoon full onto the baking sheet, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart. Press gently with a fork to flatten. Bake until the cookies are golden brown and just set, 11 to 13 minutes; do not overbake. Transfer to a rack to cool.
5. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
No comments:
Post a Comment