Sunday, May 18, 2008

for sale


market day
Originally uploaded by spauldingtj
OK, some explanation here. The bazaaris in Bury sell many things: meat, cheese, vegetables, flowers, cards, books, and clothes. This particular stall has been selling clothes for as long as we've lived here anyway.

It might just be my foreign sensibilities, but I have always thought the type of clothes they sold at this particular stall was slightly odd...it just doesn't seem like the kind of thing that you would generally buy outside, in front of 200 of your neighbors!

I've wanted to get a picture of this unique point-of-sale for a long time, but was unable to muster the courage to stand there with my camera and take a picture...I don't embarrass all that easy, but I didn't want to get a reputation for being 'that pervy guy' taking pictures of knickers on the street.

So anyway, I was stuck. Normally in this situation I would use a telephoto lens, which is a good way to get candid photos of places and people without having to interrupt them by taking pictures of things they probably consider quite boring and usual. This place sits right against a building however, so that wasn't an option.

So this weekend, I was reading a book about Ian Fleming and had a flash of genius; on saturday I took ollie up in the pushchair, borrowed dori's camera, and flashed a picture, 007-style, as I walked by. Truly great (or truly sad), depending on your viewpoint I guess.

No comments: