Sunday, July 06, 2008

Triathlons and Barbeques

Happy 4th everyone!  We decided to celebrate Independence Day with some British friends and neighbors and some old friends who are moving to our (relative) neck of the woods.  We made do with Coors Light instead of Sam Adams, and Tim made his famous burgers.  

Since we're staying in the UK for another year and a half or so, we decided to rent a storage unit nearby in lieu of moving house.  We're putting Ollie in the bigger room and his room will become a study/storage room.  I bought blue paint for Ollie's walls, so I'll update with pictures once I get the room painted.  After moving furniture, we managed to take a walk through some of the public footpaths that fill the countryside here in Suffolk.  Our walk began through a horse pasture, home to a large and very curious chestnut.  Ollie, as always, was a character.  He had a great time pulling a large stick behind him and checking out the goodies that nature had to offer.  Things were going well, until he decided to stop, turn around, and announce "Home, back," and he began to walk in the opposite direction.  We were able to continue on a bit further, but it was the beginning of the end.  After our walk, we visited the Flying Fortress where we enjoyed a pint and Ollie enjoyed his dinner, the wheat field, and the playground.

Tim and Ollie were great cheerleaders for me as I took raced another sprint triathlon this morning.  I managed to finish a 750 m swim, 18 km bike, and 5k run in about an hour and a half.  The run was a little bit short, but overall the course was pretty good.  Two of my friends ran the race with me, which was a nice treat.  After a hot bath, a power nap, and a neck rub, I'm as good as new.

PS Check out the Anna and Jim link to the right if you're interested in a more detailed description of our trip to Bordeaux

1 comment:

Law Kat Returns said...

I am really proud of you Dori....Super mom and super athlete!! Glad to hear you enjoyed the fourth with friends. I spent the holiday in the birthplace of our independence--Philadelphia!!! Ate a cheesesteak, ran the steps at the philly museum of art..had a lot of fun!