Tim here. I am safe and sound in the states as well - hanging out in the ultra-nice Charlotte Airport, enjoying some free internet. FREE? Can it be? Yes, here in the land of the big Walmart, some things are free, and others are very cheap. And the people are very nice to you, even though they don't know you! And I'm not even out of the airport yet!
What does this have to do with the picture? Nothing. The picture is some cool statuary that I found in the Abbey gardens the day before departing. I imagine the artist didn't plan on the moss (maybe he should have) but it makes a nice touch.
I took a solo walk around downtown Bury, soaking up some euro-ambiance before departing. It was kind of a philosophical moment -- standing in the cross of the abbey ruins, with the shrine of St. Edmund ahead of me, and the crypt below, I could, for the first time, imagine standing in the medieval cathedral -- what a stunner it must have been for a fen-bound peasant whose previous architectural experience was a four room thatched roof cottage.
The walk downtown was the highlight of my three days of Class-B bachelorhood. I had big plans to party it up while Dori and Ollie were in the states. Instead I ended up with a bunch of dishes in the sink and an average bedtime of 9:30 over the course of the three days. Such is life! I am happy now to be only a few hours away from being back with the family.
Happy Christmas!
tim
Monday, December 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment