After a leisurely drive up the island (Tim drove and I slept), we arrived in the picturesque town of Keswick and our self catered "cation" house (as Ollie called it). The town is pronounced Kes-sick...don't ask me why the w is silent. Its streets are lined with cute boutiques, tea shops, and restaurants. Our good friends Seward and Brooke met up with us, so we were fortunate enough to enjoy their company.

The view from our front window
O enjoying the front yard
Brooke, Seward, and Tim ran a 10k on some brutal trails the next morning, while Ollie, Risby, and I scouted out orange dinosaurs on the landscape. Who knew that there were nice, grass eating, large reptiles out amid the sheep!?! Proof that O's imagination works well even on vacation. After nap, we decided to trek out to the nearest lake and enjoy the gorgeous scenery along the way. Its not a huge surprise, but Tim and I both went to sleep shortly after putting O man down. There's something so relaxing about being away from your own house and all of the chores that are ever present. We both enjoyed the rest!
The Warriors after the race...well done guys!
Risby and I enjoying our exercise for the day as we hike between two pastures.
While traveling on the island one shouldn't expect dry, sunny conditions, especially that far north. Monday held a day full of rain, so we opted to take a tour of William Wordsworth's house in the nearby town of Grasmere, followed by a car ride along England's "grand canyon" (as an English tourist called it). The scenery has inspired poets and authors for centuries now, and William lived in Dove Cottage for a short but prolific eight years. While walking in Keswick, we found a poem under a bridge near the lake. I was pleased to discover that the poem was Wordsworth's "I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud," which is often mis-titled "Daffodils." The cheery yellow flower is the first to pop up and signals that the dreary UK winter may possibly end. I find this poem particularly beautiful.
I Wandered Lonely As a Cloud (1804)
I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.
Continuous as the stars that shine
and twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretched in never-ending line
along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
tossing their heads in sprightly dance.
The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
in such a jocund company:
I gazed - and gazed - but little thought
what wealth the show to me had brought:
For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.
Continuous as the stars that shine
and twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretched in never-ending line
along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
tossing their heads in sprightly dance.
The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
in such a jocund company:
I gazed - and gazed - but little thought
what wealth the show to me had brought:
For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.
- William Wordsworth (1770-1850)
We opted to drive along the Hardknock Pass after lunch to enjoy some stunning views. Its a good thing that Tim was driving, because the roads were narrow, curvy, and steep. You know its going to be a good ride when signs warn that the road is not suitable in winter!
Looking east from Hardknock Pass. Pictures are hard-pressed to show the dynamic landscape.
Stay tuned for tales of Tuesday and Wednesday and a pregnancy update. Hope you're all well!
Dori






No comments:
Post a Comment