Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Life is a Cabaret

Well, we're back in the UK again. I meant to write a while ago, but I seem to stay busy these days. We've been back for a week and a half now and the jet lag wasn't too bad. Ollie really is a trooper. We were back in town long enough to unpack, dust, and do the laundry before heading down the road to see Cabaret in the Lyric Theatre in the West End. Our good friend's the Segals were able to watch Ollie, so Tim and I enjoyed some kid-free time. Although we had a later start to the day than we'd wished, Tim and I were able to catch the Rodchenko exhibit at the Hayward Gallery in London. Not only did I learn a lot about the artist and his influence on graphic design (he was the first to make collages) and art, we were able to visit the land of modern art while touring the other exhibit "Laughing in a Foreign Language." Where else can you enjoy listening to a cardboard box speak to you?

After the museum, Tim and I walked past the Eye and the Aquarium towards Westminster Abbey. Its always fun to watch the different people try to take shots with Big Ben in the background on the very busy bridge and to listen to the many different languages and dialects. Tim and I separated for a small while so that Tim could take some pictures and I could tour Westminster one more time. (The last time we were there, two month old Ollie became hungry in the middle of the Abbey and began to scream...needless to say, we didn't see all that the Abbey had to offer.) Unfortunately, the Abbey was closed by the time I arrived, so I walked around instead. We enjoyed a nice walk back to the RAF Club and then a leisurely walk to the West End. While a romantic dinner out would have been nice, we opted for a faster (but still very good) Japanese noodle bar instead. We enjoyed the first sushi that we've had in a long while. The show was amazing, set in the intimate Lyric Theatre. I'd forgotten how much I love live music and theatre.

We woke up early on Sunday morning to get in a 6 mile jog before breakfast. Sounds crazy, I know, but I'm training to run my first ever half marathon on April 6th. Something has to get rid of the pesky ten (ish) pounds that still hang around from Ollie's stay in my belly. If the thirteen miles won't do it, I hope that the five weeks of training will!! Anyway, our run was splendid and in perfect weather. Cold enough to make you want to run and warm up, yet not sweat very much. It was a great way to see the city in beautiful morning light. After working up an appetite, we had the Full English breakfast (tomato AND mushrooms) along with a nice cup of tea. It was a very British experience and one that I always enjoy. We made our way back to Bury after that, only to discover that part of the tube line was out of service. Fortunately, we were back on track after a ride on the national rail and a bus.

Thanks again to Scott and Kim for keeping the Ollie man. I don't think that he was in his best humor, getting over a cold and working on those last two front teeth! You guys are awesome.

Ollie continues to chat away. In an effort to teach manners, he has learned how to say please. It sounds much more like "peas" and is adorably cute. His personality shines through more and more everyday. His obsession with cars continues and he's still in love with Risby (who's still a saint). Ollie loves raisins and the computer. Its amazing to think how much more technologically savvy this generation will be. Ollie is also now awake, so I'll end this very long update with the promise to update more often (with more pictures!)

No comments: