Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Worthy of note

Breaking with tradition, this post is news related, not Ollie-related.

Due to recent events

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2007/11/06/air_force_grounds_entire_fleet_of_f_15s/


I've had a bit more time to peruse the internet than normal. A dangerous thing as it turns out!

Here's what I've learned in the last few days:

1) Mary Tudor is buried in Bury St. Edmunds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bury_St_Edmunds


2) Greene King Brewery (our local brewery) makes the most popular lager in England, and has been brewing beer in Bury St. Edmunds since 1700

http://www.greeneking.co.uk/


3) Pakistan is not a nice place to live

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/08/world/asia/08pakistan.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogi


4) Don't get in a land war in Asia, don't mess with a Sicilian when life and death is one the line, and don't screw with MIT when it comes to quality buliding practices

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/07/us/07mit.html?em&ex=1194584400&en=0d81ad17dbaee6c4&ei=5087%0A



I also had time to read a big chunk of the current issue of the Economist. I claim the *free* electronic version of the Economist (which covers almost the whole print edition) is the best thing going as far as internet news. It is the most thorough, comprehensive, and well written thing out there. It also has the added bonus of being able to stake out political and editorial ground that simply does not exist in the american political scheme.

The current issue has a special report on religion, politics, and international relations that is well worth anyone's time. It can be found at:

http://www.economist.com/index.html



Tim

No comments: