Sunday, November 05, 2006

Old Man Winter


We had an awesome lingering summer this year in England, but the seasons have finally changed now. With the time change we are starting to have the very early evenings as well - that's the price you pay for having 18 hours of sunlight in June!

Some of our flowers in the garden have survived the first couple of frosts, but the spiders packed up and left after the first hint of cold. The picture is of one of the abandoned webs that they left behind.

I must admit that I have a bit of Holden Caulfield-esqe naivete about where they go in the wintertime (does a man in a truck come and pick them up?) but I have to say that I am happy to have a break from them.

They have all made such a rapid departure that the only spider I see around regularly is the one that lives behind my driver's side-view mirror. He makes a web from the mirror to the door every night which gets torn off in the wind every morning when I drive to work. This has been going on for about 6 months. Nobody said spiders were smart.

Tim

No comments: